Effective Self-Evaluation: Evidence-based evaluation for school improvement
Effective Self-Evaluation is a complete training package that prepares school leaders and stakeholders to play their roles in effective and continuous school self-evaluation. Its’ training sessions for governors, the school leadership team and wider stakeholders will kick-start the self-evaluation process and offer guidance for carrying it through.
This resource is designed to help you embed ongoing rigorous self-evaluation in your school and provide a process for staff to engage with self-evaluation and the role that this plays in strategic and developmental planning.
Effective Self-Evaluation will enable you to:
- Teach staff and key stakeholders about the importance of self-evaluation and its contribution to the school’s strategic planning
- Develop inclusive processes that are endorsed by governors and leaders and used by staff
- Encourage effective contribution from governors, leaders and staff by showing them how to plan future actions in order to support ongoing self-evaluation
- Assist departmental action planning with tools that translate data into targeted actions
- Develop an evidence-based process with measureable outputs and actions that can be presented at inspection
- Foster an open culture where staff appreciate the school’s strengths and weaknesses
- Focus on the core purpose of good teaching and learning throughout the school.
Why buy an Optimus Education DIY Training resource?
Effective Self-Evaluation: Evidence-based evaluation for school improvement is part of the Optimus Education D-I-Y (deliver it yourself) training portfolio. Our D-I-Y training packages provide:
- value for money – training sessions can be delivered multiple times to different groups of staff
- comprehensive training materials – detailed training plans, presentations, handouts and a variety of practical activities to engage participants are all provided in the package
- flexibility – training sessions can be customised with case studies, questions or exercises which are specific to your school’s needs
- excellent quality – the training materials have been written by experienced trainers with expertise in the topic area; you benefit from their knowledge and guidance
- measurable outcomes – each package includes ways to monitor effectiveness and learning outcomes.
Summary of contents
Effective Self-Evaluation will support the preparation of the summary and kick-start the ongoing process by helping school leaders think about the interdependent cycles of performance management, financial planning, self-evaluation, training and development and action planning.
- Embed self-evaluation as an ongoing process
- Assist key groups to make a positive contribution
- Enable action planning that contributes to strategic development
- Be accountable and ready to show your school at its’ best during inspection
Training session 1 – Self-evaluation for governors
- Understand the importance of self-evaluation.
- Understand your responsibilities for contributing to the school’s self-evaluation.
- Understand the key headings of the 2012 Ofsted inspection framework.
- Have discussed the school’s performance under each of the key headings and have a clear understanding of the headlines, the strengths and weaknesses.
- Devise a plan, both for contributing to the school’s self-evaluation and to the inspection.
- In a faith school, understand that there will be a separate Section 48 inspection and that they should be prepared for this also.
Training session 2 – A self-evaluation briefing for the leadership team
- Understand the importance of ongoing self-evaluation.
- Understand your role in contributing to the school’s self-evaluation.
- Understand the detail of the 2012 Ofsted inspection framework.
- Will have been able to discuss the school’s performance under each of the key headings and have a clear understanding of the headlines, the strengths and weaknesses.
- Will have a plan for undertaking systematic school self-evaluation.
- In a faith school will understand that there will be a separate Section 48 inspection and that they should be prepared for this also.
Training session 3 – Self-evaluation – a briefing for stakeholder
- Brief stakeholders on their role in the school’s self-evaluation
- School and stakeholders understand the partnership and how it might be used to inform the school’s strategic development
Training session 4 – Knowing ourselves: a self-evaluation planning day
- Staff at all levels understand the role that self-evaluation plays in the strategic leadership of the school
- Staff contribute to the identification of the school’s strengths and weaknesses against the areas of the Ofsted framework
- Departments/key stages/teams contribute to a review of the school’s performance in their area of responsibility
- Leaders have data from which to create a self-evaluation document
- All staff will be able to identify priorities for improvement at school and departmental level
- Identify staff training needs
About the expert
John Viner has taught in both primary and secondary schools and has a history of successful school leadership, having led five primary schools over a quarter of a century. These include a tiny village school, a four-form entry junior school with training school status and a challenging coastal primary school which he led out of special measures. He has inspected for Ofsted since the very first framework and for the Church of England for around the same time. John is now a full-time writer, inspector, and consultant.
- A4 Ringbinder, c. 64 pages
- CD-ROM containing PowerPoint presentations and accompanying resources
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email email@example.com.