Unit 1 provides the headteacher and SLT with an opportunity to reflect on:
- their personal levels of stress
- their stressors
- and their management of them.
Leading by example is the best way to encourage ‘buy in’ from staff. It provides skills to develop personal and professional wellbeing strategies.
The SLT must be in the best state to lead; great leaders listen, are compassionate and communicate considerately. They understand how best to support staff to excel in school, perform to high standards and engage effectively.
The relationship between the SLT and staff can make or break achievement.
Honesty, humility and sensitive communication are required if genuine wellbeing measures are to be effectively implemented and sustained.
The headteacher and SLT play a pivotal role to guarantee a fit and flourishing workforce. Your leadership is crucial to the successful outcomes of the school, the achievement of the pupils and whether your staff excel.
Aims and outcomes
- investigate and understand stress
- recognise what triggers stress
- consider the working environment in your school
- consider the wellbeing ethos
- evaluate what has recently changed (for better or worse)
- consider what measures there are already in place to anticipate and reduce apparent, potential and genuine stress levels in your staff.
- Importance of wellbeing
- Defining stress
- School vision
- Reality and vision
Group study section
- Download the trainer notes, presentation and handouts at the bottom of this page.
- Read through the content before delivering to participants.
- Consider how to make the additional reading available to participants after the session.