This unit introduces staff to the school anti-bullying policy. The aim is for staff to be familiar with their school's policy, to clarify procedures and expectations and to ensure they have ownership over it. The unit also explores the difference between bullying and 'banter' or teasing between pupils, and how they can address this in a different way from actual bullying.
Participants will also trial a model for responding to incidents of bullying, which they can adopted and used alongside the school policy if desired.
Aims and outcomes
- know and model the school policy and apply it consistently
- model positive interactions between themselves and pupils and other adults
- recognise the difference between 'banter' and other language that is problematic
- know when and how to react when they see signs of prejudice-based bullying.
- Step 1: Our school policy
- Step 2: Responding to an incident
- Step 3: Roleplay
- Step 4: Banter or bullying?
- Step 5: A consistent response
- Step 6: Plenary