The key purpose of this unit is to brief appraisers and senior staff on the imperative to challenge individual teacher underperformance and to help them understand the processes for capability.
The unit looks at what needs to be done once it is decided that the appraisal process is no longer appropriate for a teacher whose underperformance is affecting pupil progress and capability proceedings need to take over.
Aims and outcomes
Participants will understand:
- the legal aspects of the capability process
- how staff should be supported to improve and be given appropriate time to do that
- the flexibilities to adopt and see through a capability process where a member of staff is not making required improvements to their professional practice.
- The research
- Capability transition
- Support planning
- Formal capability proceedings
- Capability process and plenary