During this unit, we will raise awareness of the accountability required of governors in managing finances. Some will be discussed in more detail here and others will be the main topic of other units in this Outstanding Governance course. There will be a section on pupil premium funding as it is paramount that governors can demonstrate their knowledge and understanding to external agencies such as Ofsted.
The three core functions – the ‘guiding principles of governance’ were introduced in Unit 1. This is about embedding the message that underpins good and outstanding governance in schools. As a reminder the three core functions are:
- Vision, Ethos and Strategy
- Holding Leaders to Account
- Financial Probity.
In this unit, we will cover financial probity.
Aims and outcomes
- Develop an understanding of how schools are resourced.
- Develop skills and confidence in the Governing Board.
- Understand how to monitor finances effectively to demonstrate probity.
- Develop a clear understanding of pupil premium funding.
- Signpost to further guidance, training and learning opportunities.
Step 1: Sources of school funding
Step 2: Role of the finance governor
Step 3: Areas to cover in meetings
Step 4: Summary and next steps
End of Unit 3 quiz