- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skills AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Access this unit immediately1 year access
During this unit we will raise awareness of some of the key skills that governing boards as a whole should have. Some will be discussed in more detail here and others will be the main topic of other steps in this Outstanding Governance course.
We will explore various skills audit tools, and how they can be used effectively to improve all aspects of school life. There will be a general discussion around the skills required for an effective GB as well as a couple of case studies to dig deeper into certain aspects and skills of governance.
Aims and outcomes
- Recognise the skills needed for effective governance.
- Develop skills in your own governing board.
- Learn how to self-evaluate.
- Undesrtand how to achieve the right level of challenge and support.
- Demonstrate how often a change of mindset can have a significant impact.
- Signpost to further guidance, training and learning opportunities.
Unit 2: Developing governor skills
Step 1: What is governance all about and what skills are needed?
Step 2: Case studies and different skill sets
Step 3: Effectiveness, evaluation and self-improvement
Step 4: Summary and next steps
End of Unit 2 quiz