- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skills AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Access this unit immediately1 year access
£7.00 + vat Discount on bulk purchases 10% discount for 5+ units 20% discount for 10+ units 25% discount for 50+ units £35.00 + vat Discount on bulk purchases 10% discount for 5+ units 20% discount for 10+ units 25% discount for 50+ units
The key purpose of this self-study course is to clarify the core purpose and key functions of governance. The DfE and Ofsted are particularly interested in skills that governors possess and this unit is the first in a number that will help address this and make your governing board (GB) more effective.
This unit provides an overview of governance in general, and later units will explore some of the detail. We will also look at the differences between governance in maintained schools and governance in academies, in broad terms.
This unit aims to develop an understanding of GB roles and responsibilities, its effectiveness and any further guidance, training and/or learning opportunities that may be beneficial.
Aims and outcomes
- Develop an understanding of governing board roles and responsibilities.
- Develop the effectiveness of the governing board.
- Develop your confidence as a member of your governing board.
- Signpost to further guidance, training and learning opportunities.
Unit 1: Induction for new governors
Step 1: The purpose of the governing board
Step 2: How governing boards function
Step 3: Ofsted Inspection Framework
Step 4: Summary and next steps
End of Unit 1 quiz