- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
This training course offers practical advice and strategies for supporting pupils and managing cases of neglect, providing staff with concise and up-to-date information about the indicators and impact of neglect.
It also promotes a whole-school approach that supports staff to work with parents and outside agencies to get the best possible support for the child.
In addition, this training meets wider aims in terms of keeping child protection on your staff training agenda. It will help promote a proactive approach to safeguarding in the school, raise staff awareness, build confidence, develop child protection skills and encourage staff to be responsible for taking appropriate action.
Units 1 to 4 are aimed at all staff and provide a comprehensive introduction to child neglect.
Unit 5 has been designed as a seminar for senior managers and nominated safeguarding governors to increase their knowledge and confidence in dealing with neglect and to reiterate the school’s statutory responsibilities.
Aims and outcomes
- Understand indicators of neglect to be able to identify warning signs.
- Provide effective early intervention and timely support to pupils who are neglected.
- Understand the importance of detailed recording of concerns to show patterns.
- Offer practical and effective support to neglected children, including direct communication.
- Carry out effective risk assessments.
- Develop tools to effectively communicate and work with neglectful parents.
- Cooperate with other agencies to develop support for children and families.
- Know and meet your school’s statutory requirements.
- Promote a whole-school approach to managing cases of neglect.
Unit 1: Understanding and identifying neglect
Unit 2: The impact of neglect on children’s health, development and education
Unit 3: Supporting the neglected child
Unit 4: Continuous monitoring and recording
Unit 5: A seminar for senior managers and nominated safeguarding governors