- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
How much do you know about the Data Protection Act (DPA) and GDPR? Are you aware of the implications of breaching data protection? Do you understand the importance of data protection in schools?
A good place to begin is to test your existing knowledge about data protection. Have a go at answering the questions in the pre-unit quiz, to find out what you already know about data protection.
Aims and outcomes
- Understand the key facts about the Data Protection Act.
- Explore what is meant by data protection in schools.
- Learn about the eight principles of data protection.
- Answer the question: ‘What is GDPR?’
- Understand the differences between GDPR and the Data Protection Act.
Unit 1: An introduction to data protection and GDPR
Step 1: Brief introduction to the Data Protection Act
Step 2: Data protection in schools
Step 3: Personal data in schools (suggested answers)
Step 4: The eight principles of the Data Protection Act
Step 5: What is the GDPR?
Step 6: Key differences between the Data Protection Act (DPA) and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
Step 7: Summary and reflection
End of Unit 1 quiz