Health and self-care is one of the three aspects of personal, social and emotional development, one of the three prime areas of learning in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
Children are expected to reach the early learning goal at the end of the EYFS in the reception year at primary school.
All staff need to be confident of their role in developing children’s understanding of this area of learning and development whatever the age of the children they work with.
It is important to remember that different approaches are appropriate for different ages of children and different children will progress in their understanding at different rates.
AIms and outcomes
- know the early learning goal in relation to health and self-care
- understand how to enhance their work with children as they become aware of their own health and self-care needs
- know how the physical environment and resources support children in developing their understanding, skills and abilities in staying healthy and self-care
- gain confidence in planning for this area of learning and development for children of different ages and stages.
- Ideas to support the goal
- Plan an activity