- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Access this unit immediately1 year access
£8.00 + vat Discount on bulk purchases 10% discount for 5+ units 20% discount for 10+ units 50% discount for 50+ units £40.00 + vat Discount on bulk purchases 10% discount for 5+ units 20% discount for 10+ units 50% discount for 50+ units
About this unit
This unit is aimed at staff with responsibility for coordinating support for EAL pupils in mainstream schools and teachers of EAL learners. However, senior leaders and support staff will also find the materials relevant to the development of whole-school policy and to understanding interventions at the classroom level.
Pupils with English as an additional language (EAL) are a significant minority of the population of pupils in British schools. To meet their academic and linguistic needs, appropriate assessment of both of these domains must be part of normal school practice. This unit will help you assess the level of proficiency of EAL pupils and to plan structured support.
Aims and outcomes
- Discover the principles informing assessment of EAL pupils in mainstream schools.
- Explore a selection of tools to aid the assessment of English language proficiency and how to use them.
- Look at some strategies for assessing pupils’ understanding of curriculum content based on their level of English proficiency.
Understand how to use the results of assessments to inform planning for individual pupils.
Unit 2: Assessing proficiency and planning interventions
Step 1: Rationale and context
Step 2: English language learners
Step 3: Understanding your EAL pupils
Step 4: Assessing English proficiency
Step 5: Assessing understanding of curriculum content - 1
Step 6: Assessing understanding of curriculum content - 2
Step 7: Strategies to support learning
Step 8: Language learning issues or SEN?
End of Unit 2 quiz