- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Access this unit immediately1 year access
£8.00 + vat Discount on bulk purchases 10% discount for 5+ units 20% discount for 10+ units 50% discount for 50+ units £40.00 + vat Discount on bulk purchases 10% discount for 5+ units 20% discount for 10+ units 50% discount for 50+ units
About this unit
The aim of this unit is to help teachers understand the importance of their role in supporting the learning needs of pupils with English as an additional language (EAL) in the mainstream classroom and to describe practical strategies by which they can meet those needs.
Aims and outcomes
- Describe and understand the key characteristics of being an EAL pupil.
- Learn the five fundamentals of effectively teaching EAL pupils in mainstream classes.
- Acquire specific teaching strategies to make the learning experience for EAL pupils positive and productive.
- Know how to adapt a lesson to meet the needs of EAL pupils.
Unit 1: In-classroom support for EAL pupils
Step 1: The five fundamentals of teaching EAL learners
Step 2: Determine content and language objectives for each lesson
Step 3: Connect content to background knowledge
Step 4: Provide comprehensible input
Step 5: Use cooperative learning strategies
Step 6: Modify vocabulary instruction
Step 7: Planning an EAL lesson
End of Unit 1 quiz