Unit 1: Benefits of action research
Explore the meaning of action research and how it can improve teaching and learning
Aims and outcomes
Conducting research within the classroom is very valuable to the development of teaching and learning – anything from effective assessment to managing behaviour can be the focus of thorough research without disrupting your class time.
Action research is an effective method of classroom exploration, allowing teachers to identify issues in need of further consideration. This unit is the first step to establishing what action research is and how to plan it effectively for your school.
The practical, interactive activities of this unit will demonstrate to participants how to:
- define action research: understand the meaning of action research in a teaching and learning context
- understand the need for evidence: determine what counts as evidence in making decisions about teaching, learning and interaction in school
- establish your first research cycle: enable participants to plan and start their preliminary action research cycle
- realise the potential of research: understand potential benefits of undertaking action research for you and your pupils by experiencing an initial cycle.
This unit will introduce the structure of plan, do, review, and draw upon participants’ prior knowledge and understanding of research. This will then allow them to pursue their preliminary action research cycle.
Download your certificate via My CPD Tracker
Follow the steps below to download your certificate of completion:
- If you haven't already, go to My CPD Tracker on your dashboard. If you don't see your CPD tracker click 'Customise Dashboard' and drag the module down. Click 'Done' once you have finished customising.
- Open My CPD Tracker and select 'Add new CPD' and select 'Add training (self study)' or 'Add training (you to deliver)' if you have delivered this training to a group.
- Complete all fields and click 'Add activity'.
- If you have have completed the training, go to 'Actions' to open your activity. Add a due date and tick both check boxes.
- You can now download your certificate via the 'Actions' button.