Unit 1: What is metacognition?
How are you going to use this training?
Explore the meaning of metacognition and how to achieve the objectives of your school through metacognitive approaches
Aims and outcomes
The aims of Unit 1 self-study course are to:
- know what is meant by metacognition and how it applies to everyday life
- have an appreciation of the importance of motivation in metacognition and self-regulation
- understand that metacognition is as much about learning culture and climate as is about teaching strategies and tools for planning and problem solving
- practice reflection (on your learning from the unit).
The aim of this session is to promote awareness. It introduces some of the major issues in metacognitive approaches to accelerating pupil progress.
Participants will start thinking about objectives for your school: what do you want to achieve - and what might help or hinder the process?
- Download the trainer notes, presentation and handouts at the bottom of this page.
- Read through the content before delivering to participants.
- Consider how to make the additional reading available to participants after the session.