Using Games in School Geography
Using Games in School Geography encourages fun and interactive teaching and learning of secondary geography by interspersing geography games and activities within curriculum teaching. This accessible resource for geography teachers allows for independent learning triggered by thinking skills development.
This resource will enable you to:
- Encourage enthusiastic participation in your geography classroom
- Improve performance using games, which have been proven to be effective teaching and learning tools
- Contribute to students’ social and emotional aspects of learning, developing skills of empathy, decision-making and critical thinking that they can use across the curriculum and throughout their lives
- Add to your own range of teaching strategies, particularly those which encourage interaction with students, and develop your own games and simulations.
Summary of contents
This collection offers a portfolio of tried and tested games and simulations for secondary school geography students. Each of the exercises can be applied to a particular National Curriculum strand of geography, covering Key Stages 2 to 5. Designed to be interspersed within geography curriculum teaching, they represent a variety of styles that range from the simple to the complex.
This accessible book is as useful for enthusiastic experienced teachers as for the NQT, containing a mixture of old favourites (that have not been published before) and new ideas.
The exercises in this new collection include:
- Operational games
- Mathematical simulations.
Simulations range from the exploration of development priorities on an island in the tropics to the issues underlying a local road-building project, and from the impact of large-scale ecological change to finding a good location for a new settlement.
Full materials and instructions for the use of each exercise are provided, along with a commentary for teachers. Each game or simulation has a basic idea and framework, and this can be simplified or sophisticated according to the ability of the students. Suggestions for setting-up, for effective management, and for subsequent debriefing and future development of each exercise are included. As long as you have access to a photocopier (and a six-sided die), this book provides all that is necessary to make these games work.
Spiral bound, 225 x 297, 142 Pages, Published 2007
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email firstname.lastname@example.org.