Marking, Feedback and Assessment: Improving pupil progress through effective feedback
Marking, Feedback and Assessment is a training package that will help you focus on marking, feedback and assessment as key elements in the quality of teaching and learning in your school. It will show you how to use them to inform teaching and enhance your pupils’ progress and achievements.
This resource will help middle and senior leaders to agree strategy for developing marking and feedback across your school and show teaching staff how to enhance learning by ensuring pupils are clear about what they’re doing, what they’re getting better at, and what they can work on next. It will also enable effective use of feedback to raise teachers’ standards and improve job satisfaction.
Marking, Feedback and Assessment will enable you and your colleagues to:
- Agree strategy for developing consistent and effective marking, feedback and assessment across your school.
- Identify what’s working and what’s not working and prioritise what you want to improve.
- Understand types of feedback that work well and how to ask and answer good questions.
- Work together in planning and trialling lessons, activities and homework.
- Strengthen pupil motivation by helping pupils be clear about what they’re doing, what they’re getting better at, and what they can work on next.
- Develop routines and strategies to monitor pupils’ progress and scaffold their learning.
- Tailor your teaching and responses to pupils’ capabilities and potentials.
- Set up activities to include effective assessments and plan for using feedback in lessons.
- Use questioning to engage your pupils in reflecting on their progress and giving one another feedback.
Why buy an Optimus Education DIY Training resource?
Marking, Feedback and Assessment is part of the Optimus Education D-I-Y (deliver it yourself) training portfolio. Our D-I-Y training packages provide:
- value for money – training sessions can be delivered multiple times to different groups of staff
- comprehensive training materials – detailed training plans, presentations, handouts and a variety of practical activities to engage participants are all provided in the package
- flexibility – training sessions can be customised with case studies, questions or exercises which are specific to your school’s needs
- excellent quality – the training materials have been written by experienced trainers with expertise in the topic area; you benefit from their knowledge and guidance
- measurable outcomes – each package includes ways to monitor effectiveness and learning outcomes.
Summary of contents
This training pack consists of activities and information, designed to help you work with your teaching colleagues on enabling your pupils to develop as active, interactive and reflective learners. It includes references to research and quotations from pupils and colleagues in schools.
- Develop consistency of practice with high expectations
- Monitor pupils’ progress and adjust teaching accordingly
- Enhance teaching and learning using formative assessments
- Match assessments and teaching to pupils’ individual talents, interests and needs
Training session 1 – What do you do well? What can you improve? How can you develop?
- Agree purposes for marking, feedback and assessment
- Survey current strengths and weaknesses in marking, feedback and assessment
- Make a statement about how to manage tensions between summative, grade-based and formative, comment based assessments
- Recommend focuses for development in marking, feedback and assessment
Training session 2 – Giving and using feedback
- Agree what the key features of successful feedback are, and use those to inform lesson planning
- Plan how to include effective feedback in an upcoming sequence of lesson activities, focusing on immediate spoken and shown, as well as written, feedback
Training session 3 - Peer and self assessment
- Consider a range of ideas about self and peer assessing and questioning
- Help one another to plan lesson activities using those strategies
Training session 4 – Developing your practice
- Revise your definition of what you want marking, feedback and assessment to achieve
- Survey possibilities for action research and choose ways forward
- Reflect on the support you need and make recommendations about that
- Decide how you might inform others about what you learn
Training session 5 – How are you doing and how do you know?
- Share perceptions about how marking, feedback and assessment are developing across the school
- Respond to statements emerging from the training
- Plan next steps to consolidate and continue the developments
- Decide how to share developments with stakeholders
About the expert
John Blanchard provides independent consultancy, research, evaluation, coaching and mentoring for schools, local authorities and higher education institutions. John contributes to school-centred initial teacher training, accredited continuing professional development and master’s courses and is an Open University Level 2 course tutor. Previously, John taught secondary English and some modern foreign languages in Germany, London, Yorkshire, and Cambridgeshire. He became an advisory teacher, then an adviser, latterly responsible for assessment across all phases, in Dorset.
- A4 Ringbinder, c. 80 pages
- CD-ROM containing PowerPoint presentations and accompanying resources
Purchasers can review this training pack on the GoodCPDGuide at http://GoodCPDGuide.com/courses/marking-feedback-and-assessment/reviews/new
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email firstname.lastname@example.org.