- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Raise achievement in science with secondary enrichment activities by John Senior and Angela Tuff that will challenge and excite your students.
Enriching Science will allow you to:
- enrich science lessons for all students and provide extension material that will challenge more able students
- improve students’ performance in this core subjects by enriching the curriculum
- enhance students’ enjoyment of science and promote it as a subject for further study
- support whole-school improvement by raising standards in core subjects
- provide opportunities for students to expand their thinking skills through problem-solving and develop their social skills through teamwork
- improve students’ ability to self-direct their individual learning and help them to have fun and gain pleasure from thinking.
Each activity is accompanied by teacher’s notes and suggestions for further work and research, should your students wish to take the project even further. The book also includes a CD-Rom containing all of the activity task sheets for ease of reproduction.
Summary of contents
This collection of extension activities will allow you to provide enrichment for secondary teachers and children in the science curriculum, particularly addressing the needs of the gifted and talented child. Enriching Science offers challenging enrichment activities for able children that aim to inspire more children to study science; to encourage scientific literacy among all children; to foster creativity with regard to scientific thinking; and to stimulate an informed debate among children about the application and direction that science takes in our increasingly complex society.
The activities in this book are designed to stretch a young person’s thinking and provide a base for applying scientific training. The message we hope your students will understand is that science is challenging and exciting, and if they have the ability and are excited by science, they can successfully study at a higher level and help create a better future. If the abilities of your students take them along other paths in life then we hope the activities and challenges in this book will help them to appreciate the role of science in all our lives.
Enriching Science presents activities that are based within the national curriculum but that will also enrich and extend it. The activities are presented in three sections:
- applying science: 10-minute activities
- lesson-length enrichment activities for Key Stages 3 and 4 in biology, physics & chemistry
- day-long enrichment and extension activities.
Good practice model: A revolutionary seesaw (Activity 71)
Living on Mars
Intergalactic weight loss
Science shows secrets
If only we could hear ourselves as others hear us
Yesterday you invented something
Lesson-length enrichment and activities
KS3 and KS4 biology
Why eight metres of intestine?
Atishoo, atishoo, we all fall down
Why the quagga?
Are we ready to pipe, quack and dance?
It’s only natural
Spidrex + BioSteel = ?
KS3 and KS4 chemistry
Little Miss Muffet
A burning question
Why did Mendeleev leave gaps?
Transportation and deposition
A new island
What a mix-up!
The school pond disaster
Don’t worry, we have a billion years to try something
Manufacture of ammonia
Red hot chili peppers
What do we do with all the salt?
KS3 and KS4 physics
What’s the connection?
Archimedes and the golden crown
A revolutionary seesaw
Behaviour of light
Beyond a natural lifetime
The rumble of elephants
Day-long enrichment and extension activities
The alchemist’s cauldron
Cunning men and wise women
Going where no golf ball has gone before
I’m forever blowing bubbles
The scene of the crime
Health and safety issues
Evaluation and review
Loose-leaf, 305 x 255, 256 Pages, Published 31/05/2007
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email email@example.com.