- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Enriching Maths aims to raise standards in teaching maths with a collection of exciting maths enrichment activities. A key resource for maths teachers teaching at a secondary level, it raises achievement in maths with challenging activities.
Enriching Maths will allow you to:
- enrich maths lessons for all students and provide extension material that will challenge more-able students
- improve students’ performance in this core subject by enriching the curriculum
- enhance students’ enjoyment of maths and promote it as a subject for further study
- support whole-school improvement by raising standards in core subjects
- provide opportunities for students to expand their thinking skills through problem-solving and develop their social skills through teamwork
- improve students’ ability to self-direct their individual learning and help them to have fun and gain pleasure from thinking.
Each activity is accompanied by teacher’s notes and suggestions for further work and research, should your students wish to take the project even further. The book also includes a CD-Rom containing all of the activity task sheets for ease of reproduction.
Summary of contents
Enriching Maths is a collection of exciting activities that aims, through challenging enrichment work, to inspire more children to study mathematics; to encourage mathematic literacy among all students; to stimulate creativity with regard to mathematical thinking; and to promote an informed debate amongst students about the application and direction which mathematics takes in our increasingly complex society.
The collection brings enrichment to mathematical studies, and is designed to stretch a young person’s thinking. The activities can even provide a strong base for applying further study in maths. Enriching Maths presents activities that are based within the national curriculum but that will also enrich and extend it. The activities are presented in three sections:
- ten-minute activities
- lesson-length enrichment activities for Key Stages 3 and 4
- day-long enrichment and extension activities.
Good practice model: Circles (Activity 20)
A model of perfection
Cartography and breadfruit
Choose a number
Making a note of it
If numbers dream...
The museum of numbers
What is it about numbers?
Lesson-length enrichment activities
Escher and tessellation
Thicker than water?
Three in a row
Dancing with mathematics
What’s in a name?
How hard is it to read?
Feldgrau, garance and khaki
World War I aircraft
Are you right?
Planning the underground
Death and taxes
How far does a penguin travel in its lifetime?
Churches and temples
Liars, damned liars and statisticians
Once upon a time
Places to live
The trouble with democracy
How heavy is a rainbow?
Coincidence and false memory
Day-long enrichment and extension activities
The mathematics of politeness
Talking to aliens
Mathematics the Egyptian way
Evaluation and review
Loose-leaf, 305 x 255, 270 Pages, Published 31/05/2007
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email firstname.lastname@example.org.