- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Embedding Numeracy: Promoting numeracy across the curriculum in secondary schools
Employers, academics, international league tables and Ofsted are all telling us that we need to be better at maths. However, the standards of maths teaching in secondary schools can vary. Inconsistent approaches are used in different subjects, leading to confusion for pupils and a missed opportunity to reinforce the learning of a vital life skill.
Embedding Numeracy will enable you to introduce a whole-school approach to numeracy and equip your staff to:
- understand the importance of achieving a consistent approach to numeracy across the curriculum
- promote numeracy as a vital life-skill to pupils
- feel confident about how to teach pupils the application of various mathematical processes within their subjects
- know where their subject’s curriculum crosses with the maths curriculum and how to build appropriate links between them
- encourage pupils to continue to learn maths at post-16.
Why buy an Optimus Education DIY Training resource?
Embedding Numeracy: Promoting numeracy across the curriculum in secondary schools is part of the Optimus Education D-I-Y (deliver it yourself) training portfolio. Our D-I-Y training packages provide:
- value for money – training sessions can be delivered multiple times to different groups of staff
- comprehensive training materials – detailed training plans, presentations, handouts and a variety of practical activities to engage participants are all provided in the package
- flexibility – training sessions can be customised with case studies, questions or exercises which are specific to your school’s needs
- excellent quality – the training materials have been written by experienced trainers with expertise in the topic area; you benefit from their knowledge and guidance
- measurable outcomes – each package includes ways to monitor effectiveness and learning outcomes.
About the expert
Chris Olley divides his time between running the secondary mathematics PGCE course at King’s College, London, authoring, and training teachers on curriculum development projects. As the head of maths in a London comprehensive school, he led the development of numeracy across the curriculum - which transformed achievement in maths.
- A4 Ringbinder, c. 80 pages
- CD-ROM containing PowerPoint presentations and accompanying resources
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email firstname.lastname@example.org.