The Child Protection and Safeguarding Handbook for Schools - Second Edition
NEW: Updated with the Working Together to Safeguard Children guidance!
This second edition of The Child Protection and Safeguarding Handbook for Schools provides schools with updated information about the ever- changing world of child protection. Its aim is to support head teachers, designated senior persons and all school staff to comply with mandatory requirements, to reflect on their own practice and to do everything in their power to keep children safe.
The Child Protection and Safeguarding Handbook for Schools: Second edition will enable you to:
- Know exactly what to do in an emergency
- Be aware of the latest policies and guidance resulting from the Munro Review
- Ensure your safe recruitment procedures are robust and up to date
- Train all staff on what to look out for and how to manage disclosure from pupils
- Work effectively with school staff and understand different roles with regard to safeguarding and how everyone works together
- Manage allegations against staff
- Understand what Ofsted are focusing on.
Summary of contents
This practical resource will show you how to:
- Make child protection and safeguarding a whole-school issue
- Ensure you are being compliant with latest guidance
- Manage a robust safe recruitment system
- Provide support and training for staff.
The introduction of this handbook explains:
- what to do in an emergency.
- the importance of the role of the school
- the development of a national framework for child protection
- the recommendations of the Munro Review and how DSPs can make it work for them
- the difference between child protection and safeguarding
- safeguarding and well-being
Section 1: A shared responsibility
Section 1 takes you through the school's role in protecting children from harm. It covers:
- how child protection and safeguarding should be tackled through each stage of the curriculum
- how social and emotional learning helps with your goal
- school inspections and self-assessment
- staff issues – such as staff knowledge and training, including a quick guide for staff
- your role and the roles of the headteacher, and the governing body
- cooperation between agencies as well as parents
- what happens when a referral is made
Section 2: Essential toolkit for the designated person
This section focuses on school policies and procedures and takes you through the legislation and guidance including:
- basic legal requirements and references
- confidentiality and information sharing
- off the premises protection
- training requirements for your school's staff
- implementing a safer recruitment process
- what to do when allegations are made against staff members
- how to recognise abuse
- how to respond to concerns about a child
- guidance on referring to social services
- listening and talking to children
Section 3: Special considerations
In section 3 we look at children who are particularly vulnerable to abuse and neglect such as children with SEND. The section also includes:
- information on sexually concerning behaviour
- additional information for independent schools, academies and free schools
- additional information for residential special schools
Section 4: Training, support and further information
This section provides you and your colleagues with the support you need including:
- support directory for staff – a quick guide booklet that can be handed out to staff including 'how to respond to an emergency' and 'child protection responsibilities and entitlements of all staff and volunteers'
- awareness training presentation with notes
- awareness training – tutor guidance
- child protection training presentation with notes
- child protection training – tutor guidance.
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email email@example.com.