Assessment for Learning: Embedding excellence and consistency
Assessment for Learning: Embedding excellence and consistency teaches you how to use AfL consistently in your school to help trainees, teachers and assistants teach well, and in turn help students learn well.
This comprehensive resource looks in detail at what makes AfL work and provides real examples of techniques and strategies you can apply in your teaching to deliver a consistent approach. The package includes training materials covering AfL leadership and practical implementation and exercises around development planning to help you embed practice in your school.
Assessment for Learning: Embedding excellence and consistency will enable you to:
- develop a consistent, effective approach to AfL across your school
- encourage students to become autonomous, reflective, and critical learners
- nurture evidence-based practice by encouraging teachers to share experience and expertise
- enhance learning by engaging students in new ideas and methods
- meet individual students’ needs by understanding how to adapt AfL methods to work for different learning styles
- improve classroom practice by using AfL as part of conscientious and effective teaching
- build on existing strengths to achieve significant results by making small adjustments.
Summary of contents
This practical resource is suitable for anyone responsible for developing teaching, learning and assessment in your team, across your school, or with colleagues from different schools.
As well as chapters explaining how AfL works and how to use it consistently, Assessment for learning: embedding excellence and consistency contains:
- 22 lesson observations across 10 subject groupings, showing teachers and students using a range of AfL methods according to circumstance and capacity
- a training session for the leadership of AfL that helps you engage your leadership team in considering strategies for embedding AfL across your school
- a training session for teachers that helps you work through activities designed to extend and enrich teaching, and can be used by individual teachers or teams on their own.
Section 1 – Approaches to AfL
- Examples of lesson activities involving formative assessment
- What it means to highlight standards and criteria
- Answering common objections
Section 2 – Leading development in your team and across your school
- What do you want to achieve by developing formative assessments?
- What will you do to monitor and evaluate developments?
- Who will perform what roles?
- What will be done to change ethos, policies and systems?
Section 3 – Examples of Assessment for Learning across the curriculum
- English and media studies
- Information communication technology
- Physical education
- Humanities and religious education
- Modern foreign languages
- Art and music
- Design technology
- Vocational and business education
Section 4 – Teaching towards autonomy
Section 5 – Things to work on
- Decide ground rules and know what to expect
- Be clear about purposes and standards
- Answer questions, ask questions
- Reflect critically on lessons
- Recap and mind-map
- Use criteria
- Use templates and models
- Use feedback and decide how to improve
- See rationale and relevance
- Develop resilience
- Work towards autonomy
- Be a coach, be a mentor
Section 6 – Helping your students learn to learn
Section 7 – Further research
Section 8 – Training resources for leadership of AfL
Section 9 – Training resources for teachers
About the expert
John Blanchard is a consultant and researcher in teaching and learning. His areas of particular expertise include assessment, creativity, action research and professional development. He teaches on initial teacher training, CPD and master's courses.
- A4 Ringbinder, 208 pages.
- CD-ROM containing PowerPoint presentations and accompanying resources.
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks and digital products: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s) and digital products. To access, log in to your account and follow the instructions below:
- Go to your Dashboard in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Customise Dasboard'
- Drag the 'My eBooks' module down to your dashboard.
- Click 'Done'
You can now view and access all purchased ebooks from this block. If you can not see your order please email firstname.lastname@example.org.