- Latest NewsUp-to-date articles giving you information on best practice and policy changes.
- Model PoliciesA comprehensive set of templates for each statutory school policy and document.
- Year PlannersPlan priorities across each term, ensuring key tasks are completed.
- Skill AuditsEvaluate your skills and knowledge, identify gaps and determine training needs.
Curriculum thinking: reading and resources for staff
Are you undertaking curriculum planning or considering a curriculum re-fresh? Or just want a better understanding of what is meant by curriculum? Use these resources as a starting point
Go straight to
For state schools in England, a renewed focus on the curriculum has been kickstarted by the Ofsted inspection framework. The quality of education judgement is based around:
- intent – is the curriculum ambitious and coherently planned?
- implementation – does the teaching help learners remember content and integrate new knowledge into larger concepts?
- impact – do learners achieve well, and are they ready for the next stage of their education?
Find out what we have learned so far about the inspection framework in practice.
Are you considering a curriculum re-think? Headteacher Josephine Smith shares a seven-step subject review process for secondary schools, while teaching and learning director Tom Fay provides a question framework to ensure all staff are involved.
- Are pupils gaining the knowledge and skills you intend? Are you getting implementation right?
- A curriculum statement is a useful tool for sharing your vision. See this example.
- Remember that your curriculum isn’t only about academic skills. How do you assess non-academic outcomes?
The role of a subject leader or head of department is an exciting but challenging one. You need to lead and inspire, manage people, get paperwork done, monitor quality of teaching – and ensure you continue to do a good job in your own classroom.
If you’re a teacher, subject leader or senior leader and expecting a call from ISI or Ofsted inspectors, these resources will come in useful.
- ISI inspection checklist: academic deputy heads of independent schools
- Ofsted inspection checklist: teachers and subject leads
- Ofsted inspection checklist: deputy and assistant headteachers
- Preparing for a deep dive
‘Focusing on an arts-based curriculum has had such a huge impact on our pupils’ wider learning, and we’re now in the top one per cent of the country for pupil progress’ says headteacher Naveed Idrees. Read about his journey from special measures to outstanding with an art-based curriculum on the Optimus blog.
For more inspiration, find out how:
Last Updated:17 Mar 2021