Please note this training material has been archived. The course makes reference to several policies and frameworks which have since changed.
Ensure your governors have the essential skills and knowledge to fulfil this vital role
How to use this course
This course is made up of 6 units, each looking at a different aspect of governance.
Each can be delivered as a separate units, as part of a governor's meeting or training day.
Author and trainer
This course outlines the core roles of governance as identified by Ofsted and the Department for Education, explores the practicalities of being a governor and looks in detail at four key areas of responsibility.
Written particularly with the governance structures of academies in mind, this course will equip your governors to:
- know their role, responsibilities and how to self-evaluate
- play a strategic role as leaders that work collaboratively with the head and other staff
- focus on pupil progress and achievement through effective use of evidence and data
- contribute to performance management and judgements on quality of teaching
- understand financial strategy, value for money and pupil premium funding
- promote a safe learning environment through rigour in behaviour and safeguarding.
With detailed guidance from governance expert David Mariott, this course will help you develop an effective governing body that provides appropriate support and challenge to the school leadership.
Have you seen our topical governor briefings? Take a look and ensure your governing body are up to date with the latest legislation.
Certificate of completion
Completed a unit or a whole course? Complete our short survey and we will send you a certificate.