EAL for Classroom Teachers
Practical training materials for supporting the learning of EAL pupils in the classroom: understanding their needs, identifying their proficiency and supporting their progress
How to use this course
This course comprises two units of around 80 minutes.
Each unit in turn can be delivered in two bitesize chunks of 40 minutes.
Author and trainer
English as an Additional Language (EAL) pupils form a growing part of our school’s population. It was estimated that in 2014 1.1 million pupils between the ages of 5 and 16 in British schools were classed as having English as an Additional Language.
Catering for these pupils’ needs within the mainstream classroom is crucial to ensuring that their level of English proficiency develops, and that they effectively learn the necessary curriculum content.
This training will help participants to:
- understand EAL pupils: recognise the key characteristics of English language learners to best shape your provision
- understand EAL learner needs: know the fundamentals of effective teaching for EAL pupils in mainstream classes
- teach EAL pupils: practical tips to adapt your lessons to meet the needs of EAL pupils
- identify proficiency: successfully assess the English language proficiency of pupils
- assess EAL pupils effectively: understand how to carry out EAL assessments, and how to use this information to inform planning
- gauge understanding of content: clarify how to assess pupils’ understanding of curriculum content based on their level of English proficiency.
This course was written by Hamish Chalmers, a former Director of EAL at an international school in Bangkok. He is currently completing a doctorate in English language acquisition at Oxford Brookes University.
After completing this course, or a unit within it, contact us to receive your certificate of attendance on email@example.com.
Certificate of completion
Completed a unit or a whole course? Complete our short survey and we will send you a certificate.
Please allow up to 14 days to receive your certificate.