Assessment without levels
Struggling to build an assessment framework in your primary school or at KS3? This training will help you design a system of monitoring progress that isn't built on levels
How to use this programme
Assessment is critical to great teaching. Ofsted look for 'teaching, learning and assessment' precisely because they should work together. But it's easy for teaching to serve assessment, rather than the other way round.
This training programme is designed to help you refine your approach to assessment without using levels or other systems that rely on a linear progress flight path. As the National Curriculum documents make clear, depth of learning is as important as progression.
There is no one best assessment system: what matters is what will be right for your school. So this training is not about promoting one assessment model; instead it gives a variety of models to look at and provides collaborative exercises and activities to help you design a bespoke system for your school.
For a full overview of the programme, click on the image below.
Aims and outcomes
- Agree strategy for developing assessment without levels in your school, and moving away from a fixation on linear flight paths.
- Clarify what makes a valid and reliable assessment and ensure that the intended outcome of any assessment is clearly defined and purposeful.
- Make assessment serve learning, not the other way round with our assessment model templates and case studies.
Each unit includes
- Trainer notes, presentations and handouts.
- Resources to support implementation of new skills and continued reflection.
- Additional reading for further learning.
Certificate of completion
Completed a unit or a whole course? Complete our short survey and we will send you a certificate.