Practical Safeguarding and Child Protection: Managing neglect and ‘lower level’ concerns
Practical Safeguarding and Child Protection: Managing neglect and ‘lower level’ concerns is a training resource that provides schools with concise, up-to-date information about the indicators and impact of neglect and supports all staff and governors to meet statutory responsibilities and move towards outstanding safeguarding practice.
This vital resource offers practical advice and strategies for supporting pupils and managing cases of neglect, as well as promoting a whole-school approach that supports staff to work with parents and outside agencies to get the best possible support for the child.
Practical Safeguarding and Child Protection: Managing neglect and ‘lower level’ concerns will help you and your governors:
- understand indicators of neglect to be able to identify warning signs
- provide effective early intervention and timely support to pupils who are neglected
- understand the importance of detailed recording of concerns to show patterns
- offer practical and effective support to neglected children, including direct communication
- carry out effective risk assessments
- develop tools to effectively communicate and work with neglectful parents
- cooperate with other agencies to develop support for children and families
- know and meet your school’s statutory requirements
- promote a whole-school approach to managing cases of neglect
This pack is part of the series Practical Safeguarding and Child Protection: Developing confidence, skills and expertise in your staff team. This series is designed to help you go beyond the basics and keep child protection on your staff training agenda. Each pack in the series aims to:
- promote a proactive approach to safeguarding in your school
- raise staff awareness, build confidence and develop child protection skills
- encourage staff to be responsible for taking appropriate action.
Why buy an Optimus Education DIY Training resource?
Practical Safeguarding and Child Protection: Managing neglect and ‘lower level’ concerns includes is part of the Optimus Education D-I-Y (deliver it yourself) training portfolio. Our D-I-Y training packages provide:
- value for money – training sessions can be delivered multiple times to different groups of staff
- comprehensive training materials – detailed training plans, presentations, handouts and a variety of practical activities to engage participants are all provided in the package
- flexibility – training sessions can be customised with case studies, questions or exercises which are specific to your school’s needs
- excellent quality – the training materials have been written by experienced trainers with expertise in the topic area; you benefit from their knowledge and guidance
- measurable outcomes – each package includes ways to monitor effectiveness and learning outcomes.
Summary of contents
This training resource comprises two training courses, each accompanied by a series of practical handouts and group activities. The first offers practical information and strategies for all staff and volunteers in schools and the second supports senior leaders to meet their statutory responsibilities and promote a whole-school approach.
- Identify indicators of neglect
- Monitor and record patterns
- Support pupils on a daily basis
- Work effectively with parents and agencies
Training session breakdown
Training session 1 – Managing neglect and lower level concerns: Understanding and identifying neglect
- recognise the prevalence of neglect
- identify warning signs of neglect and patterns of neglect
- identify parental factors that may contribute to neglect
- understand the immediate and long term effects of neglect
- support children at risk of neglect on a daily basis in school
- co-operate with other agencies to develop support for children and families
Training session 2 - Managing neglect and lower level concerns: The impact of neglect on a child’s health, development and education
- examine the adverse effects of neglect
- learn about the effects of neglect on brain development and cognition
- understand the links between neglect and behaviour
Training session 3 – Supporting the neglected child
- identify how the school can support a neglected child
- consider how staff can contribute to building the child’s resilience and confidence
- encourage children to talk about their feelings
Training session 4 - Continuous monitoring and recording
- recognise the importance of reporting and recording
- examine the barriers to taking action in cases of neglect
- understand where the school fits in the multi-agency child welfare/child protection process
About the expert
Ann Raymond is an independent children’s services consultant with particular expertise in child protection and safeguarding. She has extensive experience in supporting children’s services to meet their child protection and safeguarding responsibilities through the provision of specialist consultancy and training. Ann is the author of the highly acclaimed The Child Protection and Safeguarding Handbook for Schools.
- A4 Ringbinder, c. 80 pages
- CD-ROM containing PowerPoint presentations and accompanying resources
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s). To access your eBook(s) and files, log in to My Account at the Optimus Education website and go to the 'My Books' tab. eBooks can no longer be purchased by invoice – please do not email/fax any purchase orders for eBook titles as they will not be processed.