Enriching Maths in Primary School
Enriching Maths in Primary School will allow you to:
- enrich maths lessons for all pupils and provide extension material that will challenge more-able pupils
- improve pupils’ performance in this core subject by enriching the curriculum
- enhance pupils’ enjoyment of maths and promote it as a subject for further study
- support whole-school improvement by raising standards in core subjects
- provide opportunities for pupils to expand their thinking skills through problem-solving and develop their social skills through teamwork
- improve pupils’ ability to self-direct their individual learning and help them to have fun and gain pleasure from thinking.
Summary of contents
This collection of enrichment activities will allow you to provide exciting and original projects and challenges for teachers and children in the maths curriculum and beyond – particularly addressing the needs of the gifted and talented child.
Enriching Maths in Primary School is a collection of activities for able children that aims, through challenging enrichment work, to inspire more children to enjoy mathematics; to encourage mathematic literacy among all pupils; to stimulate creativity in mathematical thinking; and to promote an informed debate among pupils about the application and direction which mathematics takes in our increasingly complex society.
Enriching Maths in Primary School contains over 80 activities that can be used in the classroom to extend and enrich the experience of maths in school for children, gifted or otherwise. The activities in this book are presented in three main sections:
- number tasters
- lesson enrichment activities
- maths club enrichment and extension activities.
Good practice model
How heavy is your head?
Is 7 heaven?
The mathematician’s bag
How does a rabbit measure a carrot?
Lesson enrichment activities – using and applying mathematics
Why measure a wall?
Bigger or smaller
Improving your area
Very exciting or only a little bit exciting?
What will we do?
Who jumps the highest?
Numbers in space
Counting and understanding numbers
All mixed up
Numbers in the dark
Large and little puzzles
Knowing and using number facts
Where would you go?
Numbers (The Musical)
Thinking beyond numbers
If you were a horse
The great loo mystery
‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’
Wave the flag
Maths in architecture
Triangles into hexagons
Three into two
Journey to Timor
What have the Romans ever done for us?
Painting and decorating
The Bermuda Triangle
A model solar system
How many faces?
Ride my bicycle
Heads, tails and trees
Winning the Ashes
The solar system
Lines of best fit
Survival of the fittest
Maths club enrichment activities
The mathematical picnic
Evaluation and review
Loose-leaf, 306 x 260, 168 Pages, Published 1/10/2008
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s). To access your eBook(s) and files, log in to My Account at the Optimus Education website and go to the 'My Books' tab. eBooks can no longer be purchased by invoice – please do not email/fax any purchase orders for eBook titles as they will not be processed.