Effective Use of Pupil Voice: Improve learning through engaging pupil feedback
Effective Use of Pupil Voice: Improve learning through engaging pupil feedback is a training course that will help you to develop active pupil participation, giving you the tools to be able to use pupil voice as a mechanism for whole-school improvement.
Effective Use of Pupil Voice will enable you to:
- actively and proactively listen to pupils views as a mechanism for self-evaluation and improvement
- meet pupils’ needs more closely using feedback from pupil observers
- increase pupils’ motivation and engagement in learning by making them feel they are in genuine partnership with the school
- enable dialogue with pupils that enhances their experience of teaching and learning
- improve achievement and attainment through pupils’ increased sense of responsibility
- develop skills of cooperation and communication that enable pupils to participate as active members of a democratic society
- teach pupils how to reflect on and evaluate their experiences and give useful feedback.
Why buy an Optimus Education DIY Training resource?
Effective Use of Pupil Voice is part of the Optimus Education D-I-Y (deliver it yourself) training portfolio. Our D-I-Y training packages provide:
- value for money – training sessions can be delivered multiple times to different groups of staff
- comprehensive training materials – detailed training plans, presentations, handouts and a variety of practical activities to engage participants are all provided in the package
- flexibility – training sessions can be customised with case studies, questions or exercises which are specific to your school’s needs
- excellent quality – the training materials have been written by experienced trainers with expertise in the topic area; you benefit from their knowledge and guidance
- measurable outcomes – each package includes ways to monitor effectiveness and learning outcomes.
Summary of contents
Effective Use of Pupil Voice includes three sessions that will equip you to roll out the use of pupil voice in your school, with a particular focus on improving teaching and learning. Each training session is based around a PowerPoint presentation and includes numerous exercises and activities, many of which use video clips as resource material.
- Improve pupil engagement, learning, self-esteem and behaviour
- Use pupil voice as a mechanism for improving teaching and learning
- Develop pupils’ social, communication and critical thinking skills
- Raise attainment through increased pupil motivation and responsibility
Training session breakdown
Training Session 1 – Overview for senior leaders
- explore anticipated benefits of using pupil voice to improve teaching and learning
- evaluate a range of exemplar strategies that could be used to develop the role of pupils in contributing to the improvement of teaching and learning
- identify potential difficulties and discuss strategies for managing staff and pupil expectations
- identify the ways forward in implementation in your own school.
Training Session 2 – Introduction for staff
- understand the imperative and anticipated benefits of using pupil voice as a vehicle for improving teaching and learning
- explore differing responses and preferred approach to involvement
- collaborate to develop a tailored approach which will be best for the school and individuals.
Training Session 3 – Working with pupils
Learning outcomes for pupils:
- understand the rationale for the process of involving them in improving teaching and learning
- appreciate their responsibilities as well as their rights
- be aware of the skills of evaluation
- be aware of the skills needed in order to give effective feedback.
About the expert
Yvonne Lewington has a wealth of teaching, training and school improvement experience across primary, middle and secondary schools. She works with schools, local authorities and other organisations to support school improvement, change management and transformation of learning.
- A4 Ringbinder, c. 80 pages
- Video clips of lessons, supplied by Teachers Media, provide stimulus for discussion in the training sessions. Presentations, handouts and video clips are provided on a DVD-Rom.
Books and training products: Titles in stock will be fulfilled within 15 working days. If you have pre-ordered a forthcoming title, you will receive it as soon as it is available.
eBooks: After making your order, you will shortly receive another email containing easy instructions on how to download your eBook(s). To access your eBook(s) and files, log in to My Account at the Optimus Education website and go to the 'My Books' tab. eBooks can no longer be purchased by invoice – please do not email/fax any purchase orders for eBook titles as they will not be processed.