Why is this conference relevant?
Boys continue to underperform compared to girls at all stages of education:
• 75.4% of girls achieve at least the expected level of development in all early learning goals compared to 59.7% of boys*
• 57% of girls achieve expected standard in all of R, W and M compared to 50% of boys**
• This gap has been increasing year on year
• Attainment: 66.7% of girls achieve 5 A*-C compared to 58.6% of boys***
• Progress: Progress 8 score of 0.11 for girls versus -0.17 for boys***
This gender gap is nothing new. But now is the time for you to take stock, and hear from leading experts and outstanding practitioners, on what really works to help support the progress and raise the attainment of boys in your school.
* Early years foundation stage profile results in England, 2016
** National curriculum assessments at key stage 2 in England, 2016 (revised)
*** Key stage 4 provisional attainment data
What can I expect?
You can expect in-depth keynotes with leading experts and a choice of 12 workshops.
Primary workshops include:
• Learn how to create an environment and adapt your curriculum to the meet the needs of boys
• Take away strategies to build resilience in boys to help them want to go back and improve their writing
• Gain new ideas to support boys to read for extended periods and help develop a deeper understanding and extended vocabulary
Secondary workshops include:
• Learn how to support disaffected boys to see the purpose of education and take ownership and pride in their learning
• Gain new ideas to support more able boys who are underachieving to change their attitudes and strive for the top grades
• Assess your school’s curriculum and what boys want to study in light of the Progress 8 agenda
Who should attend?
• Assistant Headteachers
• Deputy Headteachers
• Heads of Department
• Heads of Year
• English Coordinators
• Curriculum Leads
What our delegates have said
“One of the most engaging conferences I’ve attended in 10 years of teaching”
Associate AHT, Selby High School
'Engaging and interesting way to discover ideas that could massively improve a student’s education'
Assistant Headteacher, Thamesview
“A fantastic and inspiring day packed with lots of ideas to take back to school”
Deputy Headteacher, SS Peter & Paul's Catholic Primary School
“Very excited to take back to school lots of information and ideas to help children develop in all areas of their learning”
Early Years Leader, Derwentwater